Getting Started

How to know if you qualify for accommodations

Any undergraduate or graduate University of Missouri student with a documented disability (permanent or temporary) may be eligible for accommodations.

Keep in mind that having a disability does not mean you are automatically approved for accommodations. All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis after a review of all relevant information. Your access advisor will work with you to create an appropriate accommodations plan that’s based on your unique needs.

Application Center

How to Get Started


Submit a New Student Application, a Housing Application or both.


Meet with your access advisor to discuss your accommodation plan.


Submit documentation as needed.

Common disabilities disclosed by students at Mizzou include:

  • Neurodivergence (ex: ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, learning disabilities)
  • Mental-health disorders (ex: PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder)
  • Chronic illnesses (ex: inflammatory bowel diseases, autoimmune diseases, chronic pain diseases, Epilepsy)
  • Physical disabilities (ex: spinal cord injuries, limb difference)
  • Sensory disabilities (ex: blind, low vision, d/Deaf, hard-of-hearing)
  • Temporary disabilities (ex: a broken limb, a severe concussion)


This is not a complete list.


Ensuring students receive the appropriate accommodations to address their needs requires an interactive process. As part of this process, access advisors will review relevant documentation in order to understand your specific experience with disability and need for accommodations.

Examples of documentation include, but are not limited to: IEPs, 504 Plans, and letters from doctors/mental health care providers. If you are concerned about not having the right documentation, make sure to let your Access Advisor know during your Access Planning Meeting. They will be able to give you direction on what types of documentation we will need to see from you and can point you in the right direction on how to acquire it.

If you do not have a documented diagnosis but believe you need accommodations, we encourage you to contact our office for referrals to local professionals. You are responsible for any cost obtaining an evaluation may incur. If cost is a barrier to pursuing a diagnosis, let us know. There may be cost-cutting resources available through other departments on campus.

Our disability verification form can be given to medical providers to assist in obtaining relevant information regarding your disability and need for accommodations.

Temporary Disability Eligibility and Support

A short-term disability is a condition that is expected to last longer than two-weeks and has a serious impact to your mobility or cognitive functioning. Some examples are broken limbs, sustained concussions and/or recovering from significant surgery.

In many cases, students experiencing a temporary disability are able to get the support they need by explaining their situation to their instructors and working with them individually to come up with a plan that lessens the impact the disability has on their education. For situations lasting longer than two-weeks, students can apply for accommodations through the Disability Center.

Students requiring temporary parking due to restricted mobility should contact Parking & Transportation for assistance.

Pregnancy Support

While pregnancy itself is not considered a disability, you may qualify for temporary accommodations through our office for conditions related to your pregnancy. Some examples include: gestational diabetes, acid reflux (“Gastroesophageal reflux” or “GERD”), severe morning sickness (Hyperemesis gravidarum), chronic migraines and severe pain and/or mobility issues.

The Office of Institutional Equity provides reasonable accommodations related to pregnancy – including adjustments to attendance requirements, course due dates, leaves of absence, and other similar academic or employment modifications.

Find Support