Celebrating disability awareness and culture at Mizzou.
The 2019 Celebrate Ability week is during September 30th – October 4th. The week’s events are listed below.
Monday, September 30th
State of Accessibility with Announcements of the Lee Henson Access Mizzou Award Winners:
Location: MU Student Center Triangle Space
The State of Accessibility will highlight various initiatives that are creating an inclusive and accessible environment for individuals with disabilities at Mizzou. The Lee Henson Access Mizzou Award was created in honor of Mizzou’s former ADA Coordinator, Lee Henson, who died in 2014 after 20 years of service to the university. This award honors champions of disability and accessibility on campus.
Mizzou Disability Coalition: #TheFutureIsAccessible: Disability in Media
Location: Memorial Union N204
Time: 3pm – 4pm
- Discussion on how you can use social media as a vehicle for social change through both allyship and personal storytelling
Mizzou Acesandaros: “Disacebled”
Location: Memorial Union Stotler Lounge 1
time: 7pm – 8pm
- Join us for a presentation and round table discussion of the identity and intersections of asexuality/aromanticism and disability.
Tuesday, October 1st
CAPB: Love Your Selfie
Location: MU Student Center Triangle Space, 1
- Show yourself some love at our SELFie and craft stations. Leave with an encouraging cookie and a positive outlook for the rest of the day!
College of Engineering Leadership, Engagement and Career Development Academy: Missouri Disability Empowerment Foundation (MODE)
Location: Lafferre Hall W1004
Wellness Resource Center, Bini Sebastian, and Christopher Lee Shannon: Mindful Yoga
Location: MU Student Center 2206 B & C,
Time: 3:30pm – 4:30pm
- Designed for all ability levels and body types and targeted for people who would generally dismiss the idea of yoga. A 30-minute presentation on self-acceptance using mindful self-compassion and appreciation will be followed by 30 minutes of mindful yoga.
Wednesday, October 2nd
Mizzou Disability Coalition: Campus Accessibility Walk
Location: MU Student Center 2206 A & B,
Time: 5pm – 7pm
- Travel to different locations on campus to learn first-hand about the state of accessibility on our campus. After, join us for a round of trivia & food!
Wellness Resource Center, Sexual Health Peer Educators: “Not Your Average Sex Talk”
Location: Memorial Union N201A
Time: 7pm – 8pm
- Discussion of the intersections of disability and sexual health. You can listen to a podcast of the discussion after the event.
Location: Memorial Union Wrench Auditorium
- Abandoned by his birth parents, DJ Savarese finds a loving family which helps him learn to communicate. As he makes his way through high school and dreams of college, he advocates on behalf of non-speaking autistic people.
Thursday, October 3rd
Carmen Schafer and Darren Gabbert from MU’s Adaptive Computing Center: Getting Started with Document Accessibility
Location: MU Student Center 2206 A & B
Time: 10am – 12pm
- This session will lay the groundwork and provide the key fundamentals for the creation of documents that can be accessed by everyone.
- What you’ll learn:
- Gain introductory knowledge of document accessibility.
- Define the difference between usable accessible documents and nominal accessible documents.
- Apply accessibility fundamentals in Microsoft Word and perform a check.
- Convert accessible Word documents to accessible PDF documents.”
ASL Club: Silent Game Night
Location: Memorial Union S16
Time: 6pm – 7:30pm
- Come hang out and play games!
Friday, October 4th
Wellness Resource Center Andrea Kimura: Mindful Yoga
Location: MU Student Center 2206 A & B
Time: 10am – 11:00am
- Designed for all ability levels and body types and targeted for people who would generally dismiss the idea of yoga. A 30-minute presentation on self-acceptance using mindful self-compassion and appreciation will be followed by 30 minutes of mindful yoga. Presented by the Wellness Resource Center.