Appeals & Grievances

The University of Missouri and the Disability Center support you in your right to file a grievance when you believe you have been denied equal access in the form of reasonable accommodations or have experienced discrimination or harassment. Depending on the situation, how you file a grievance may vary. The following outlines steps for you to take in voicing concerns. Jump to a particular concern by finding it below.

What if I disagree with a decision made regarding my accommodations?

Students who disagree with a decision regarding their eligibility for accommodations should notify the director of the Disability Center within 5 business days of the decision to file an informal appeal.


The director will meet with all interested parties to allow an opportunity to review relevant documents, statements, and information. The director will decide within seven working days of meeting with you and will notify you and all interested parties of the decision in writing.


If a satisfactory resolution is not reached, or if the student’s dispute involves the director of the Disability Center, the student may formally appeal to Amber Cheek, the ADA coordinator. This request should be made within 5 business days of the director’s decision. This can be sent to the ADA Coordinator.


The ADA coordinator will review the relevant information and may meet with all interested parties. The decision of the ADA coordinator is final, and no further appeals are permitted.

What if I disagree with my instructor regarding my accommodation request?

You should first talk with your instructor regarding your request for accommodations, and/or the implementation of your accommodations, to try and resolve the matter together. If you and your instructor are unable to come to a resolution, your access advisor can assist in facilitating a discussion.


If you believe your instructor is discriminating against you, you may make a report to the Office of Institutional Equity by using the online incident report form, sending an email to, or calling 573-882-3880.

What if I am experiencing a physical accessibility barrier?

The Office of Accessibility and ADA appreciates your assistance in improving the accessibility of our campus by reporting accessibility barriers you encounter through their online form. Examples may include a broken elevator or automatic door, an inaccessible website, a damaged access ramp, or a video without captions.


If you have encountered a barrier to access that is weather related or involves maintenance in a university facility, please call Campus Facilities at 573-882-8211.


For more information, you may visit the Office of Accessibility and ADA’s website.

What if I feel like I’ve been discriminated against (or faced retaliation)?

We are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable campus community. Our policies reaffirm our pledge to provide equal opportunity. 


If you believe an individual has discriminated against you based on disability or has retaliated against you for making or supporting a claim of discrimination, you may notify the Office of Institutional Equity by using the online incident report form, sending an email to, or calling 573-882-3880. More information about reporting options can be found at 


The Office of Institutional Equity will provide you information about your rights and options, including your right to file a formal complaint using the equity resolution process. Staff can help explain the difference between the grievance process and the equity resolution process. 


Students with disabilities may also file a complaint with the federal government through the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. 

Other questions or concerns?