Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Service/Assistance Animals

Service Animals

It is the policy of the University of Missouri that service animals are generally welcome in all MU facilities and programs, when the animal is accompanied by an individual with a disability who indicates the service animal is trained, and provides a specific service to them that is directly related to their disability.

Students who wish to bring a service animal to MU are covered by Title II of the ADA, and thus may bring their service animals to campus – including Residential Life facilities, classrooms, and other university facilities – without prior approval.  However, MU students are strongly encouraged to reach out to the Disability Center to ensure that their experience bringing the animal to campus is smooth.  Additionally, students who plan to live in Residential Life facilities are also strongly encouraged to inform Residential Life and Campus Dining services that they plan to have a service animal living with them.  Advance notice of a service animal for Residential Life facilities may allow more flexibility in meeting a student’s needs.

MU Policy on Service Animals

Anyone bringing a Service Animal or Assistance Animal to MU should be familiar with the MU Policy on Service Animals, as it includes information about the responsibilities of handlers, circumstances when a Service Animal may be removed from campus facilities or events, and more. MU Policy on Service Animals, BBPM 1:076

Assistance Animals

Students who wish to bring an emotional support animal into Residential Life facilities as an exception to the pet policy must go through the reasonable accommodation process with the Disability Center (this process starts with the student completing a New Student Application and requesting the animal as a housing accommodation).  Assistance Animals that have been approved as a reasonable accommodation must be contained in the handler’s residence. Students are not permitted to bring assistance animals into classrooms, meetings, or other university facilities.

Making a request for an Assistance Animal

  • Establish an Accommodation Plan with the Disability Center.
  • Request Assistance Animal as an accommodation.
  • You will need to provide appropriate documentation.
  • Complete the Assistance Animal Request form.
  • Be prepared to discuss your disability and how it affects your housing.

More information regarding the housing accommodation process.